Our beautiful baby boy ~Bailey~ was born sleeping on 24 March 2009
My lovely mum, Val, passed away on 9 April 2015 (my best friend)

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Upsetting Baby Announcement

I attended the usual office communications meeting on Wednesday. An announcement was made that a work colleague's wife had just given birth. I did not know that he was expecting another baby, and was shocked to hear that his baby was due only a week after Bailey. When it was announced, the announcer didn't know what he had. Someone yelled out "well, it's alive", before someone else said that he had a boy. I was so hurt by that comment, I felt like saying "alive as opposed to dead, like my little boy", or even just walking out of the meeting without saying a word. I felt like my whole world came crashing down all over again. I wanted out of that meeting and couldn't wait for it to end. I didn't want to make a scene with over 40 people watching me, but I now wish I had have just walked out.

I just can't believe that the office is so divided that some of us didn't even know this person was even expecting a baby. I was completely shocked that another person was expecting a baby around the same time Bailey was to be born.

I will not be announcing another pregnancy at my workplace. I will just let management know, and leave it at that.

For some reason ever since the early stages of my pregnancy with Bailey, I've been reading birth announcements in the newspaper. I was reading last Saturday's paper and an announcement was made that someone's son was born and they named him "Bailey William (surname)" born on 8 August. Bailey's middle name is William. It was so strange to read that, but kind of uplifting also to know that there is a little Bailey William born around the time my Bailey William was to be born.

So, Bailey's due date came and went. I was glad to be home and with Brodie to remember and love little Bailey. I really wish he was here, and I was nursing my newborn right now.

Brodie finally got his new bed last Friday. It's taking a while for him to get used to it, but he's coping. It took over half a day to re-sort his room (really found out how small his bedroom is while trying to squeeze his new bed into it).

I also asked for prayer at church during worship on Sunday. It was the first time that I had enough faith to ask for prayer at the front from the elders.

2 comments:

Tina said...

I am so sorry oyou had to hear that comment for your co-worker. They do not realize that everything is filtered through our loss. I just wish they could understand. xx

Heather said...

People say the most thoughtless things sometimes...I'm so sorry, I can imagine how that must've hurt. You are so strong to have held it together for the rest of the meeting, Im not sure I could have. Bailey is proudly looking down on his mom, of that I am sure. My due date is approaching, and although I probably would not have made it that long, I know how it feels to wish you were holding your baby, especially during certain times. Hugs.