Our beautiful baby boy ~Bailey~ was born sleeping on 24 March 2009
My lovely mum, Val, passed away on 9 April 2015 (my best friend)

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Baby's First Appointments

Next week I have my baby's first appointment with the plastic surgeon. He'll be discussing what happens after the baby is born and timeframe for surgeries, etc. I also have an appointment with a speech pathologist to discuss feeding needs of this baby as baby won't be able to be breastfed (I was told that the speech pathologist has a child with a cleft lip and palate, so not only can she help us with the fundamentals, but she can help with her own personal experience, too).

The Craniofacial Unit in Adelaide has organised these appointments for me, and I was told that even after the initial surgeries have taken place, they'll want to check up on my little one ongoing for years. I guess in a way I feel like we're going to get a lot of support with our baby, which is very comforting to know.

After losing Bailey, I really feel like I'm in a different place now, and feel I am coping and can cope with my new baby's situation a lot better than maybe what I could if I hadn't felt what it feels like to lose a baby and know that if I could have done something to prevent his lost I would have. Just knowing that, if everything continues to go well, I'll be taking home a healthy baby no matter what.

I'm excited for my little one, because I know that even though life won't start off perfect, the best care possible is already taking place and baby will be coming into a family that already loves it with all our hearts.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I think I missed something here....oh my- sorry Fi!

Wow- You are sounding so positive and happy even in such potentially trying circumstances. So glad that your speechie can relate so well to bub's cleft palate...what a blessing!

So, so glad everything else seems perfect- so happy for you my friend!!

email me if you want a chat :-D
sending much love and kisses to you and bubby xx