Our beautiful baby boy ~Bailey~ was born sleeping on 24 March 2009
My lovely mum, Val, passed away on 9 April 2015 (my best friend)

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Upsetting Family Member

Someone at Christmas asked how many children I was planning on having.  I told her just two live children (Brodie and my new little one) as it had always been my intention to have two.  She said that is good as I shouldn't try for anymore.  Not sure if someone else should verbalise their opinion on how many children someone should have.  It kind of makes me angry that someone should feel the need to remind me once again the problems I have in bringing children into this world. 

Reality is, is that this baby will be my third child, and I love all my children.  If I wanted to have more children, isn't that really up to me and my husband, and no-one else?  I don't know why, but this woman always has the most crappiest opinions and comments that are really of no business to her.  Unfortunately she is my sister-in-law so I'm kind of stuck with listening to this sort of rubbish. 

Gosh the first day I met her, she asked if we were on our first date (does she really think my now husband would have taken me to meet her on our first date), then as we had used my car to visit, she asked who's car it was and when I told her it was mine, she said you can't drive though, and I asked her where she got that idea from, it's because I catch the train into the city to work (I'm not financially set up to pay for parking in the city everyday).  At the birth of Brodie she asked how is her son related to Brodie (of course, cousins, and 2 years on she still can't spell Brodie's name correctly).  So, it does go on and on, so at the end I shouldn't let her opinions/comments get to me, but once my decisions for my children is involved, it just really hurts.  It hurts to hear that other's may have formed the opinion that I shouldn't have children.

2 comments:

Lana said...

Your totally right Fiona, its nobody's business how many children you have.. sounds like your SIL has an opinion on everything.. those difficult SILs are hard to deal with.. one of my best friends has two of those SIL and they are constantly causing her to fear family gatherings etc.. i think you should just ignore her and her opinions.. dont let them get you down - you have more important things to focus on!
I hope you and bub are doing well!
Lana
xx

Heather said...

Um....WOW.
I hate those kinds of questions. Not only are they extremely personal, but for a baby lost mama, quite a sensitive subject. As though anyone truly has a choice. Sometimes, "Life is what happens when you're making other plans." Some people get surprize pregnancies, others try for years with no success, others lose their precious gifts at various stages in the game.
i agree with Sweet Tilly, ignore her, and I'd even try to stay away from her as much as possible. You don't neeed any additional stress right now. WHen you do have to be physically near her, just change the subject, or excuse yourself to go pee (pregnant ladies can do that as often as theylike :) Take care of you, and focus on you and Brodie and your baby.