Our beautiful baby boy ~Bailey~ was born sleeping on 24 March 2009
My lovely mum, Val, passed away on 9 April 2015 (my best friend)

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Aunty's Funeral

Today we attended my aunty's funeral.  My aunty is the first of my dad's siblings to die.  She was such an energetic, lively, bubbly,  and happy lady.  She is going to be missed a lot.  She was always the one to keep the family together in some ways (I think my nanna was the one who made sure the family attended functions, etc. but she died when I was 15.  She was 94, so she had a long life and lived 16 years after my grandfather died).  She died of a stroke just like my nanna.  When she had the stroke she said she would fight it, but it was too severe and she couldn't swallow anymore. 

I saw cousins today that I hadn't seen in years, in fact I didn't even recognise some of them.  My aunty had prepared for this day and wrote her own eulogy about a year ago.  It was beautiful.  She was able to say things that happened in her life that no-one else would know, or remember.  It was strange to hear her call my dad "their baby brother", it wouldn't have been "baby brother" if someone else had written it.

The thing is when I'm now at a funeral, I think about them meeting my Bailey in Heaven.  I hope so anyway.  I wonder if he's there, too, waiting for them to arrive.  Was he there to great her with her husband, daughter, her mum and dad?  Would she even know who he is? 

On the way home, my mum suggested that her ashes be scattered where Bailey's ashes are.  I told her not to do that, as I regret so much that I did that.  I have no where to go to visit him, and have that special time with him.

No comments: