Our beautiful baby boy ~Bailey~ was born sleeping on 24 March 2009
My lovely mum, Val, passed away on 9 April 2015 (my best friend)

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Secret Garden Meeting - October

So this meeting we would like to talk about where you are. Where are you at in your grief. Has it been years or just weeks since you lost your baby. How are you feeling. How do you hope you will feel in the future. Have you found any peace at all?

It's been nearly 8 months since I lost Bailey but seems like only yesterday I said goodbye to my little boy. I've been thinking I'm doing okay with dealing with my grief, but I don't know whether I really have, or whether I've coped by not dealing with it at all. I'm sad that I never kept Bailey's ashes. I had them scattered in the Barossa Valley thinking that would be a sweet thing to do, but now it feels like I've just thrown him away, and so what I thought was a nice gesture has turned out to be the worst thing I could have done. Now, I can't even go into the Barossa without turning into a wreck, and that's only when I manage to actually go. Now I avoid the place as much as possible. We didn't have a memorial service for him, which is another thing I regret. Our pastor said we could have one when we are ready, but I should have done it straight away, as I now doubt it will ever happen. How could I have not done this? I felt I wouldn't be able to cope through a service, but now my feelings just linger, so I guess in a way I didn't really even say goodbye to him.

I don't feel any peace at all. I feel like I'm the only one who ever will love him, the only one to truly care. I'm pregnant again, but it doesn't take away the pain. Losing a child changes everything.

I'm tired of people wondering if I'll lose this baby, checking me every week that things are okay - why can't this pregnancy be treated like any other. I'm being positive that everything will be okay and that I'll bring home a healthy baby next year. Any anxiety is within me so I don't need other people creating more for me - which is exactly what happens when they question me every week. I told someone a couple of weeks ago about the pregnancy, and they said "that's a good thing, isn't it?", what!!!! Would I ever have thought about having another baby if it wasn't a good thing, if I thought every one of my pregnancies would end in loss - I can't think like that, I had to try again. I see my healthy (but oh so naughty) 2 year old, and think "I've done it, I had a healthy baby, so really there's no reason why I can't produce another healthy baby". Does losing a baby mean you can't try to have another?

I'm jealous of friends and family having babies without going through any pregnancy loss - seeing how easy it is for them, and them not knowing what it really feels like to lose a baby. I would never wish anyone to lose a baby, but at the same time, I feel so jealous that they don't have to spend the rest of their lives with grief, wanting their baby that they've lost so much.

I hope to get through this pregnancy, and have a baby at the end. I'm being positive and believe that this will happen (oh gosh, I pray that I do). I want my children to know their brother, and love him as much as I do. I know that with grief things are up and down, so all I can do is take one day at a time. I hope that I can forgive my choices for Bailey and that I've done the right thing by him, and that he is okay with that. I want my heart to feel again, and let people in that I've blocked out. I want to know that my husband still thinks about Bailey and hasn't just gotten over it (he doesn't mention Bailey in his prayers anymore and it's breaking my heart not to hear him say his name).

3 comments:

Malory said...

What about doing a memorial service for the one year anniversary? I think it will bring you some healing & it will allow you to have a final goodbye...

Please if you can mention it to your husband how you are feeling. Do not be afraid. Maybe he doesn't mention your son anymore because you are pregnant & he is trying not to upset you whenever possible. It could be a million reasons but talking about it will only bring you answers and maybe a little healing. Good luck.

Sarah said...

Hi friend...oh sweetie- I am sorry you are feeling so much regret about Bailey right now.

You didn't throw him away...you took him to a special- beautiful place- made even more beautiful by his "being there".

I'm with Malory- you can still have a serice sweetie!! Any time you want...I understand completely not doing it before because you didn't think you could take it- completely understandable.

I'm trying to do the math- if your 17 wks- bub is due March/April?? Bailey's angelversary is March....you could do it at the 1 yr mark. But no reason why you can't do it any other time if you'd rather it not so close to your due date!

I am in the same boat Fi- I've had one healthy baby and problem free pregnancy before losing our darlings....it should happen again for me too- I have to try too.

talk to hubby- he won't have forgotten...not the sort of thing anyone can forget. We all have to deal with things in our own way.

loving you xx

Sarah said...

ooops-lots of grammatical errors....annoying. sorry!