Our beautiful baby boy ~Bailey~ was born sleeping on 24 March 2009
My lovely mum, Val, passed away on 9 April 2015 (my best friend)

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Our Baby - Cleft Lip

We saw our new baby via ultrasound on Wednesday. We have good news and not so good news. Our baby looks healthy, active and was quite mischievous during the scan and we were so relieved to see our baby moving about.

We were told at the end of the scan that our baby has a bilateral cleft lip and most likely it extends to the palate. Being told news that something is wrong with your baby comes as a shock and after losing Bailey in March I thought that the outcome of the scan would be that our baby would be perfect in every way. Obviously this condition isn't life threatening and is repaired through surgery during the baby's first year in life, and then will require speech therapy as it grows and orthodontic work. We most likely won't be able to breastfeed, but I'm going to try my best to express as much as I can and then feed the baby through a modified teat. I guess once I got over the shock of hearing the news, and looked into the condition and knowing that other than the cleft lip and palate, my baby should otherwise be in excellent health.

The baby will now be monitored for how serious the cleft lip and palate is. It isn't at this point certain that the palate is involved, but as the lip is severly affected on both sides, it is most likely split too. The doctors want me to be as informed as I possibly can before the baby's birth and prepared for the outcome of what my baby will look like once it is born.

I love this baby no matter what and if others have difficulties coming to terms with our baby then it's their problem. I'm trying to toughen myself up now for the looks and comments that I'm sure I'll come across (gosh, I know I'll be so protective).

Please pray for my little baby that the condition isn't as severe as it could be, and that there are no other underlying conditions that sometimes are associated with a cleft lip and palate.

1 comment:

Tina said...

It is so hard to hear that anything is wrong with our children. I want you to know that one of my students was born with a cleft lip and I do believe his was pretty severe. I love this little boy. He has had many surgeries and still requires more, but he is as normal as anyone can be. The children do not treat him any differently and he is one of the smartest kids in my class. Just thought hearing this may help to ease your thoughts. Praying for you and your little one. xx